Reindeer grazing & calving period
You are now staying in the same mountains, forests and landscape where several Sami villages engage in reindeer husbandry. Reindeer are sensitive to disturbance from other land users and predators, therefore it is important that you as a guest know how best to behave when you encounter them.
Consider the following when visiting reindeer grazing land
- Show special consideration during the calving season (April–June).
- Always keep dogs on a leash.
- Do not go towards the reindeer.
- The quieter you are, the calmer the animals will be.
- In binoculars, you can observe the reindeer carefully from a distance.
- When larger flocks are on the move, sit back, watch and enjoy.
- During the summer, the reindeer seek snowfields that provide protection from heat and annoying insects - therefore avoid such snowfields when you see reindeer nearby.